Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Constant Wedding Bells

I feel like my summer has been consumed by one wedding related event after another! It's been showers, bachelorette parties, ceremonies and receptions nonstop! I feel really bad for the number of showers I have had to miss--usually due to having some other prior wedding commitment. Just check out this list:
  1. Beth's Wedding (had to miss the shower for a track meet)
  2. Michelle's Clan Woman Shower
  3. Michelle's Louisville Shower (missed second Louisville shower due to work)
  4. Michelle's Bachelorette Party (missed second day of bachelor party due to work)
  5. Nic and Michelle's Rehearsal
  6. Nic and Michelle's Wedding
  7. Kelli's Shower (missed due to work)
  8. Kelli's Bachelorette Party
  9. Kelli and Brandon's Rehearsal
  10. Kelli and Brandon's Wedding
  11. Meagan's Shower --> This Weekend, but I'm missing due to Grandma's birthday in Ohio
  12. Meagan Bachelorette Party is Sept. 6
  13. Meagan's Wedding is Oct. 4
So I'm getting my full dosage of weddings and marriage without ME actually coming anywhere near it...which is definitely a good thing! The latest event, of course, was Kelli's wedding, which I was honorably a part of. At the rehearsal dinner I sat next to a friend of Kelli and Brandon's, also by the name Brandon, and after confirming that I was a Casey County/basketball friend, he asked if it was weird for me to see Kelli getting married and if it was something I had ever thought I'd see way back in our young days. And, I don't know, it is a weird question to answer...

Honestly, it's something I have thought about with every one of the weddings I have been to where it was one of MY friends up on the alter--not
 one of my parents' friends or an older relative--someone whom I have considered a peer all of my life--an equal. And I 
suppose it is weird. All of these people are my equals, yet I don't see myself as anywhere close to being able to be married! Then again, I have always been way behind all of my "equals" on the dating scene... when they were on their fourth/fifth/sixth relationship, I was hoping for my first kiss! I mean, I still have trouble dealing with the concept of a--dare I say the word--boyfriend! But what is beautiful is that these people I am watching my peers unite with are people I can no longer imagine them without.

And the main thing is that I believe I am finally coming to realize that these things are no long "weird."  Instead they are now NORMAL in m

y life.  Believe it or not we ARE growing up, and while it is something I never wanted to do, I am actually okay with it.  Life continues to be an adventure--and best of luck to all of my dear friends who have just begun a WONDERFUL adventure with someone else! 

No comments: