Monday, July 21, 2008

A New Beginning (for life and for this blog)

I always told myself that one day I'd begin to blog again, and I have been hoping that post graduation would be the time, so let's see if I can actually follow through with that.  

I know I am fully capable of writing ridiculously lengthy entries, but I am going to do what I can to control what comes natural so these entries are actually of a reasonable length and don't scare people away from reading them.  

I think I'll start with a reflection on the much anticpated event of 2008: Nic and Michelle's wedding.  Since before his proposal I have spoken with friends and family alike about, "When Nic and Michelle getting married..."  What's amazing to me is that their celebration is all that I dreamed it would be and more.  I know that that happened because of the amount of love that was present on July 11.  Love of family, love of friends--old and new alike--and love of two people ready to begin a life together.  I will never be able to convey my feelings about that night and do it justice.  

Many of you joined me at the end of the night as the Backstreet Boys' song came on and we packed together and danced like fools while screaming the words out as if there was no tomorrow.  Some of you stood on the sidelines and wondered what in the world was going on while also noting the apparent friendship that existed among this crazy group of people.  I simply remember being in the heart of it and noting that every face I could possibly want to see was there--my beloved cousins, the girls I have been living with for the past four years, my man clanian friends, Nic and his 'Crew' who are all like big brothers to me, members of the BUTT (track team) from past and present.  

Sometimes I stop and try to wrap my head around just how blessed of a life I have, but even then I can't really do it.  How and why am I so fortunate and what could I ever do to show the gratitude I have for such a blessing?  

With so much of life as I have always known it coming to an end I can't help but be slightly sad and slightly nervous.  College is over--school is over.  Friends are slowly beginning to move away.  A "real job" is on the horizon.  My older brother is married.  My life has been full of so much fun and adventure and I hate to see this era coming to a close.  But then I remind myself of the many things that have come to pass that I hated to say goodbye to.  I can now see that had there not been that goodbye, the events that followed would not have come.  I am fortunate to be able to look to my parents' and aunts' and uncles' lives and see that adventure never has to leave my life as long as I want it there.  I can move ahead into the unknown and continue to make golden memories to add to the countless ones I already have in store as long as I keep myself surrounded by the people that make me happiest.

No comments: