Friday, February 26, 2010

Closet Geek

I have a confession to make. Some of you sort of know what I do for my job. I think it's safe to say, though, that most of you still don't really know. You know I do "stuff" on my computer. You know I do some "stuff" on YouTube and the internet. You know I do "stuff" for Louisville's chamber. That is all correct...but what exactly is that "stuff"?
Answer: Geek work.

Geek. Nerd. Call it what you wish, but I've fully embraced it. Actually, for years I've told people I'm a complete nerd--I embraced that at the time of
GSP. But I knew I was truly a computer geek the day I started to get engrossed and excited about fixing websites and hacking code. No, no, no, I don't actually write any web code--I'm nowhere close to being able to do that, but I can partially understand it and I can
look at it and find what I need to edit to get the look on a website I am going for when it's not what one of our client's wants.

The main servic
e/software Member Minded offers are customized websites for member-based groups. (Chambers, associations, organizations, clubs, teams, etc.) Bsically they are personal online communities or personal intranets. We have ventured out some and built some sites that slightly branch out from that platform, but the point is I spend many of my days creating websites. I have to admit that as I finished up my communication degree at Bellarmine I never saw myself down this track, but I'll also admit that I like it!

The people I work with are too much fun and our clients are all so innovative and creative that they are constantly challenging what we know and already do and pushing us to discover new capabilities of our own tool. I used
to be lost in my office with most of the conversation and lingo being tossed around, but now I hear myself saying things like, "I checked the template css file but I think we're going to have to edit the php." I'm pretty sure it was a statement similar to that that caused my coworker Trenton to giggle and ask, "Rita...Do your roommates know how much of a nerd you are?"

Work is picking up and I'm learning more everyday. It's amazing what I have the ability to do and teach others now and i
t was only a year ago that I basically knew nothing. Here are a few of the sites we've recently done (some not 100% complete) that I've had a major hand in:

External Sites:

Swantastic
Miniville
TickerTank
All County Realty
Member Minded

Secure Intranet Screenshots:

No comments: