Monday, March 26, 2012

Mad about March!

What's making me smile during March Madness?


(1) Not one, but TWO Kentucky teams in the Final Four. Not only did the region (Kentucky, Ohio, Indian) make up seven of the 16 Sweet 16 teams, but now our state makes up half of the remaining four teams. Most know I'm not partial to UofL over UK (preposterous, I know!) but love to see both succeed. I have to say, while I know the smack talk is on the horizon as Saturday nears, I love that the last 24 hours have been filled with STATE pride from both red and blue fans. At least everyone sees eye to eye about one thing: Kentucky basketball is dominant.

(2) Despite not being repeat national champs, I'm so proud of the Bellarmine Knights for a second time in history appearance in the Division II final four! I think this BU-er said it best, even though he's on the other side of the world in Australia! It's a long post but the read is great--especially if you're any part of Knights Nation.

(3) My home town Lady Rebel basketball team overcame the odds after losing their number one player a month before tournament time, and earned the regional runner-up title. Their number one player, and only senior, was not only a standout on our team, but perhaps the region's top player. (She was named the region's player of the year despite ending her season early.) It was a little bittersweet to see the team who took the regional title make it to the final four in the state and wonder if that could have been Casey County, but the good new is, the team that earned the runner-up honors will return in full next season.
(4) And do you really expect me to forget about my Buckeyes?? I was ecstatic to see them advance past  Syracuse on Saturday and luckily, I can cheer full force for them in their next game since it won't be until the championship game that they'll face a Kentucky-based team! Then I'll be a little torn...

No comments: