Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sports Talk: Gloomy about the state of the world?


As a correspondent sports writer for The Casey County News, I write an weekly editorial column for the publication. Published Oct. 10, 2012. 
 
There is no doubt that setting out a goal--especially a lofty one--and accomplishing it, is fulfilling; however, there is a completely different sense of satisfaction when you work toward that goal with a group of others.

Some may remember an article I wrote last March about a group of ladies who spent one brisk early spring morning completing a 13.1-mile course on Thomas Ridge. 

In addition to their running, these ladies also take part in Back and Body's morning boot camp sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays. To celebrate one year of the boot camp ten ladies participated in the The Southern Tennessee Plunge Marathon/Mini-Marathon.

The group, led by Erica Montgomery-Turner, began training for the event four months ago. Five of the ladies ran the full marathon and five ran the half marathon.

My mother has kept me in the loop on the rigorous training and injury struggles of this group, as she attends the boot camp but was not one of the 10 training for the run.

Having done my fair share of running and taking part in the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon event twice (NEVER for the full marathon though!), I know the work to get where they are had to be rough—not to mention the course and conditions on race day itself.

“The course was grueling...hills, hills and more hills,” Erica described it to me. “We trained up water tower hill and Woodrum Ridge hills. There were three hills that were matching Woodrum Ridge during the full marathon and one on the half marathon course. It was raining all day and cold!” 

Hills.
Rain.
Cold.
Sound like fun?

Surprisingly, I’m not shocked to hear all positive things about this experience.

For those who have never been to a race and especially if you have never been to a marathon event, you truly do not understand the intoxicating atmosphere of support and positive vibes that consume you, no matter the conditions.

To see so many people with so many supporters, all running for their own motivations and reasons, is inspiring. Bitterness, anger, jealousy and rivalry just do not exist. Everyone is in support of each other no matter if you even know the person next to you or not.

The beginning of one of my favorite movies, Love Actually, begins with the quote:  


Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere.”

For me, I would say going to a marathon event is all one needs to see that the world is not a gloomy place full of hatred and greed but one full of love for each other—friends, family and even strangers.
With ages in the Casey County group ranging from 35 to 60, I hope to find myself in their shoes one day down the road. Whether it be a marathon or another major goal let this group teach us each so much about how we should be living our own lives:
  • Never believe a goal is too big to achieve.
  • Always surround yourself with positive people encouraging you to your goals.
  • Never settle to believe your health of your body is a lost cause and that it's not worth maintaining.
  • Always welcome new adventures into your life.
Casey County Boot Camp Marathoners

2 comments:

Inspector Clouseau said...

You have some cool stuff on your blog. Nice blog work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

RitaPeat said...

Thanks! I enjoying using Blogger's "next" blog search tool as well. A great feature and I often wonder if it ever brings people to mine. Now I know! :)