Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Non-Creamy Creamy Pasta Sauce--YUM!

I'm so proud! We ate something DIFFERENT tonight!
And I made it--from scratch! :) :)

Between Mingus's food allergies and being distracted by two wiley children, it's much easier to stick to our go-to menu options rather than experiment with new ideas. Why?
(1) It takes longer
(2) It often requires special shopping--i.e. planning ahead
(3) It requires special research/adjusting to make sure it's Mingus-friendly

A week of supper is pretty predictable, around here: spaghetti, tacos, turkey burgers, stir fry & baked chicken... Plus a wild card or two here and there.

Last night we made stir fry (Jalfrezi sauce--a husband favorite) but our Zaycon chicken breasts tend to be MASSIVE and when it's just two and a half people (Lou=Half) we don't need that much... So I halfed the breast last night and had to figure out what to do with the remainder tonight. 

It would have been kind of small to just bake it and split it among us... I suppose I could have done fajitas, but I had chicken Alfredo on my mind--something we have never enjoyed together due to the creamy essence that makes Alfredo what it is! 

Creamy = Non-Mingus-Friendly

But we have talked about trying an oil-based sauce with pasta (especially since turning husband onto basil and Italian style bread-dipping oils.) I did a little Pinteresting to see what came up and I actually was still looking for an olive oil recipe when I read this one. I noticed the "white beans" in the ingredients which seemed odd, only then to see it called for "non-dairy milk"--wha??? Seeing that I actually HAD all of the listed ingredients (save a fresh lemon), I had to try.

BINGO! It was a winner! 
I actually thin I'd like to puree a large amount of the sauce and try to save it (freeze it?) so it's easy for a quick meal. (Not that making it from scratch is hard or long... just a little more mess to clean up afterwards.)

Here's my version of the recipe:
 • 1 can white beans (Great Northern)
• 1/4 c Unsweetened Almond milk (other non-dairy milks could be used)
• 3 garlic cloves (I like to error on the side of too much garlic)
• 1 T parsley
• 1/2 t onion powder
• 1/8 t nutmeg
• Juice of lemon*
• Salt & Pepper as desired
* I used lemon juice instead and just guessed...about that much.
Combined & Puree (I used my trusty Nutribullet)

I added the sauce to my sliced and cooking chicken. I also threw in some organic Greystone Garden broccoli. Mingus said he's down for a repeat!

No comments: