Friday, October 7, 2011

My Wedding on a Budget: 1 Day to Go!

And so it begins...
No, I didn't have to work today...but did that mean I slept in AT ALL? Heck no... I probably rolled out of bed quicker and earlier! It's the same way Christmas Eve is almost better than Christmas itself--or that they are one in the same. That's how today is!

I packed my bags for everything through to getting back to the Loft tomorrow once we're running on the WEDDING DAY MASTER PLAN (drawn up by yours truly). That means, massage, nails, rehearsal, salon...all packed for... I set out all of the homemade salsa that needs to be at the reception site for tables. I pulled together last minute items like the smaller bushel baskets for the can coozies and the champagne glasses. Pa took the day off work as well, so when I got to Greystone he was working on his many remaining duties including creating the Knob End sign he promised to help me with. We brought to the site most of the remaining items including the flicker lights, ribbons, flip flops, etc. And at about 11 a.m. Rachel and I loaded up Toad and headed for Danville. Even our drive was purpose-filled. We set out all of the HARRIS/DIXON WEDDING signs going towards Danville/HWY-127.
My massage was at Noon and while I was relaxing like never before Rachel took care of some bank business for me and picked up the final signage projects from Uncle John. We then headed to Nails Express where we met Jo and Kelli for some mani/pedi fun. We actually just missed Mom and Aunt Anne being there. KK actually met us there about the time we were wrapping up and Uncle Kelly stopped in with Aunt Anne about that time as well just to give me a squench and hello!

Check-in time at the hotel, where we also saw some familiar faces who came a day early for tomorrow's festivities. We got checked in to our 2 rooms--one of which was the King Size bed with a pullout--quite roomie! It pays, literally, in such instances, to be the Bride! We had some decent down time. Ate some food...Jo helped me write out the lyrics to "One For The Road' (Jolly Rogers) for the reception. Then it was time to get ready to head to Liberty for the rehearsal. We left a wee-tad early so I could swing by the Casey County Library and pick up the fancy-pants cameras that Kathy Goode left for me to borrow.
Rehearsal went just fine and dandy. Father Pat was more relaxed about most everything than I thought he might be. A few people weren't there like Gohmann and Uncle David and Jon's cousin Jessica but nobody has anything too tough to do. As long as Father knows his job and the people who have to speak have their lines at the podium, we're good! Oh and Anne-Tyler couldn't make it to practice her singing, but I trust her to be awesome. The best part of the night for me was Jon's little surprise. As most know, it's a tradition to use the bows from your showers to make a bow-quet to practice the handoffs during the ceremony between bride and maid of honor. Well, I guess Jon decided he too needed a prop or practice tonight. So when it got the ring practice...should have known... Jon says, "Wait, wait!" and pulls and RING POP out of his pocket! Everyone of course laughed. What most don't know, though is Jon buys me Ring Pops here and there and asks me to marry him quite often. :)
Frank's for dinner! I realize it's pretty casual and non-traditional for a rehearsal but it's Jon's absolute favorite and everyone loves it! Jenny and Mike picked it up on their way through Louisville today and everyone was able to just relax and hang out in the church basement. It's kind of crazy how all of these people get here tonight for the rehearsal--all of these people whom you've asked to play a particular role in the big day--and for them the festivities are just beginning. They have not had this crazy, wedding-filled week and have no idea everything that has ALREADY had to happen just to have us at this point! But now here they all are--in one place together. And once we split for the night...we won't be all together until it's truly SHOW TIME!

Father exposed the Blessed Sacrament a bit after dinner for anyone who wanted to return to the church and pray. Jon and I wanted this especially for ourselves but it was more meaningful than I even expected to see others join us. I was especially touched to have Gress and Sara come up--the only two non-family members who joined us. They were there with us on the engaged encounter so it felt like their prayers held that much more meaning. We are so very blessed to have them as our close, dear friends.
Rachel and Michelle were patient with me leaving the church--my last chance to see so many people and give final instruction on morning duties. I'd gone over itineraries with so many people making sure things were squared away. In the end, I know things will get done and what doesn't happen, won't ruin the day. I think I said goodnight to Jon at least four times. And then, at last, with one final, "Goodnight Miss Dixon" (for the last time!) we parted ways!

While I was exhausted arriving back at the hotel... I wasn't. All of my girls were there hanging out in our "big room": Jo, Rachel, Michelle, KK, Valerie, Dani, Becky, KelKel..and even Bethie drove down to join me on my last night as a single lady! Rachel had picked up a bottle of wine for us to sip but silly us forgot the need for a corkscrew! Ha..but what am I saying... the need? Not quite... a screw and a screwdriver and Michelle's muscles and we popped that cork right out!
I was the last to go to bed, as I stayed up a little later finishing a final note to Jon that I could have passed to him tomorrow. The day has truly arrived and while it feels magic it also feels as real as ever. Every piece of what will go on tomorrow has a piece of Jon or I in it. Every detail and moment--even those that no one will even notice. I hope every person who joins us enjoys the day and has a blessed memory and sees even a glimpse of what a special bond Jon and I hold and how real this love is.

I'm so excited...but I know it'll be gone in a flash. But just like the day itself cannot last forever, neither can Alamo. So time to snuggle to sleep one last time before life as Mrs. Harris will begin.

2 comments:

Tivani Oscar said...

aaa...you're so beautiful.happy wedding! have a great new life! :)

RitaPeat said...

Thanks so much! It was wonderful indeed!!