Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sports Talk: I’m recruiting YOU for sports commentary


As a correspondent sports writer for The Casey County News, I write an weekly editorial column for the publication. Published Jan. 16, 2013.
I was already scolded by my mother for not keeping my word and I cannot be sure how many of you other faithful readers of my column might have shaken a finger at me for not following through last week and explaining my second new year’s resolution as promised… (I just got a little excited about the Sugar Bowl is all…!)
So here goes…
Reading comments on Facebook, hearing friends, coworkers, family, and even complete strangers talk sports often makes me feel as though I know nothing about the sports world. But let’s be honest: it’s a big world. It’s quite a job to keep up with all of it… In fact there is a name for that: ESPN, and even they need more than one channel (ESPN2, ESPNU…) and they still can’t cover it all.
I want to be inclusive and accurate in more of the coverage and insights included in this column and I’m recruiting your help to do it.
I love reader feedback and involvement. I know Casey County is full of sports-lovers and some more passionate than I about certain sports, events, players and coaches. I am going to use one of my columns a month to include your thoughts, commentary, predictions and feedback on events in the sports world.
This is how it will work:
1 – Look for a question posed at the end of my column. I will try to typically leave the question open for response for at least two weeks. Having said that, I will add that I will also try to include some timely feedback so the window for response may not always be too long.
2 – I’ll take responses primarily two ways:
Email: rita_peat@hotmail.com
Twitter: @ritapeata
***This blog counts also...feel free to comment! :)
3 – I’ll compile some of the top responses for print and make you an official sports commentator.
So for the first question…
While I did more actively participate in my husband’s fantasy football team this year, I still cannot claim to be an avid NFL follower and everyone (non-sports fans included) knows the Super Bowl is just around the corner.
I want to hear your predictions! We won’t know the match up until after this weekend, but when we do, tell me your predicted score and which player(s) will make it happen.
No need to be shy when the time comes. Believe me, Facebook and the Internet in general make it quite clear how opinionated we all are when it comes to sports we follow, so have a little fun with it and share it on a larger scale.
Feedback for Rita “Peat”: What is your score prediction for the 2013 Super Bowl and who will the pivotal players be? Give a few details…
Email: rita_peat@hotmail.com or Twitter: @RitaPeata

No comments: